CULT: Aborted bloom stalks on TBs??

  • Subject: CULT: Aborted bloom stalks on TBs??
  • From: JEM300@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 10:10:42 EST

From: JEM300@aol.com

Hi all,

Yesterday I was out cleaning up the gardens, picking up all those lovely black
spotty iris leaves when I noticed something disturbing.

I was in a bed that is all new irises planted last summer.  I planted 1
rhizome each of each variety and they all have very good increase.  However,
on the tall bearded I noticed that probably a good 60% of them look as though
the "mother" rhizome has already thrown a bloom stalk.  Now this is just not
true because I planted them late July and August and know they did not bloom.
If I understand this correctly, there will no longer be a bloom from this
"mother" rhizome.  What a rip-off!  Now I have to hope to have the increase be
mature enough to put out a bloom.  I have only noticed this in TBs, never in
medians.  I went around and looked at other new plantings and found more
incidents of this in the TBs.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Does anyone have an explanation (or a reassurance) of why this is happening?
Is it possible the TBs started putting up a bloom stalk and then it was
aborted due to the arrival of cold weather?

Sign me Disgusted and Confused,

Linda Doffek
West Bend, WI   Zone 5  (where Siberians LOVE it)

Ideas on how we can improve ONElist?
http://www.onelist.com
Check out the Suggestion Box feature on our new web site