Re: SHOW Show Schedules

  • Subject: Re: SHOW Show Schedules
  • From: Mike Lowe <mlowe@worldiris.com>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 12:34:48 -0500

From: Mike Lowe <mlowe@worldiris.com>

Walter Moores asks...

>		Future Automation:
>
>	The CD rom format for the Checklists seems to be in the works.
>
>	What about the Judges' Ballot?  When will the ballot be tallied by a
>scanner?
>
>	Walter Moores
>	Enid Lake, MS 7/8

Remember always, when you talk automation to the AIS Board, SOME of the
eyes there glaze over and you have totally lost those members. We are
speaking of a process akin to dragging a camel through the eye of a needle.

But, take heart, at the Fall 98 meeting I proposed that we move from
manually tabulated ballots to using a #2 pencil (just kidding, modern OCR
reads everything from the traditional #2's to blood from the students
fingertips!) and doing the AIS Ballot via a scanner and spreadsheet
tabulation. The discussion was lengthy and many objections were raised and
discussed.

The upshot: we are, at the least, (2nd time I have brought the subject up
-- this time some progress was made!) thinking about it and have requested
that a Board member who works in this area come to the Board in Spring 99
with costs, expected error rates, machine rejection percentages, etc., etc.

I must move somewhat circumspectly, lest the technophobes band together and
punt me! 8-;

Cheers,

Mike,  mlowe@worldiris.com   --   http://www.worldiris.com
South Central Virginia, USA; USDA Zone 7A

Come check out our brand new web site!
http://www.onelist.com
Onelist: Making the Internet intimate