Re: CULT: Aborted bloom stalks on TBs??

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Aborted bloom stalks on TBs??
  • From: JEM300@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 18:44:31 EST

From: JEM300@aol.com

In a message dated 2/28/99 10:22:22 AM Central Standard Time,
jcwalters@bridgernet.com writes:

<< Could you possibly describe in more detail what it is you are seeing that
 leads you to conclude that such a high proportion of your newly planted
 rhizomes have attempted unsuccessfully to send up bloom stalks since last
 summer? It seems incredible to me that this could actually have been the
 case. >>

Well Jeff, I went out and looked at them again and the ones in question have a
circular spot where it appears there was a stalk and what foliage is left
attached to this area is dead and can easily be pulled away.  I went and
looked at other irises that I remembered having bloom for sure and they looked
very similar to what these looked like after I would snap off their  bloom
stalk.  And...I looked at some other clumps that were older (2 or 3 years)
where there had been no bloom and I find the same thing on some of them.
However, this affected TBs only, as previously mentioned.

Betty had something there...I noticed this only happened on rzs that put out
significant increase and it does appear the central fan did abort.

Donald Eaves mentioned that he had seen this also.  However, he has had some
bloom from these areas.  Trust me, there will be no further leaves, fans,
blooms, or whatever coming from this circular area.

I'm wondering if this is due to our weather or some other conditions.
Frankly, I'm not too happy about these older clumps now that I've seen them.
I can't waste a lot of space on irises that are just not going to put out any
bloom.  Don't bother asking if somehow the bloom stalks were broken off.  I
watch my iris beds like a hawk and would have seen that right away.
If I don't get some satisfactory behavior from some of these TBs they are
going on MY iris attrition list.  I, unlike Kathy Guest, am NOT challenged by
these non-bloomers.  :)

Linda Doffek
West Bend, WI  Zone 5

Have you visited our new web site?
http://www.onelist.com
Onelist: Helping to create Internet communities