HYB: MTB-class AB Rebloomers

  • Subject: HYB: MTB-class AB Rebloomers
  • From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 21:15:50 -0500

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Cindy Rust wrote:

>  Sharon, do
>  you have any suggestions (or any other aril/arilbred expert on this
list!)
>  for breeders for my daughter's hard to reach goal of hybridizing in
class
>  MTBs that rebloom reliably and carry aril like traits? Particularly,
which
>  aril species should she be looking to, and which arilbreds?

To keep the flowers within MTB size, she should probably concentrate on
regelia species and regeliabreds.  There ARE some small-flowered oncos, but
this has not been a desirable trait, historically speaking, so it's
difficult to get MTB-size flowers with many onco traits.  I've managed to
get some 3/4-breds that fit the specs for MTB-size, but because they have
low bud count they simply don't look "right" -- so I haven't introduced
them.

The reblooming trait is going to have to come from the other parent, so she
should concentrate on reblooming MTBs.

I've found that the color/pattern of the non-arilbred parent is actually
more important than that of the arilbred parent when it comes to getting
aril traits in the offspring -- so I'd suggest concentrating on plicata and
bicolors MTBs.

As for the arilbred parent, I'd suggest crossing any RB, like Danielson's
GENETIC ARTIST, GENETIC LEADER, or STARS OVER CHICAGO, with a tetraploid
MTB that meets the above criteria.

An even better approach would be to cross I. stolonifera with desirable
MTBs, to produce in-class breeders that could then be  crossed with
reblooming MTBs in hopes of obtaining reblooming MTB-class quarterbreds.

Yes -- it's an ambitious project!

Sharon McAllister
73372.1745@compuserve.com

Ideas on how we can improve ONElist?
http://www.onelist.com
Check out the Suggestion Box feature on our new web site