TB: Aborted Bloomstalks?

  • Subject: TB: Aborted Bloomstalks?
  • From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 21:15:45 -0500

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Linda Doffek wrote:

>  I was in a bed that is all new irises planted last summer.  I planted 1
>  rhizome each of each variety and they all have very good increase.
>  on the tall bearded I noticed that probably a good 60% of them look as
>  the "mother" rhizome has already thrown a bloom stalk.  Now this is just
>  true because I planted them late July and August and know they did not
>  If I understand this correctly, there will no longer be a bloom from
>  "mother" rhizome.  What a rip-off!  Now I have to hope to have the
increase be
>  mature enough to put out a bloom.  I have only noticed this in TBs,
never in
>  medians.  I went around and looked at other new plantings and found more
>  incidents of this in the TBs.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

This is the main problem I have in growing TBs.  If conditions are not to
their liking [in my case, not enough shade & not enough water] the "mother"
rhizome puts up increase but does not bloom.   Sometimes, it's only one
increase so that the "rhizome" becomes quite elongated.

My solutions:
1.      Never plant in the heat of summer, but pot and hold until local
residents break dormany.
2.      Provide adequate shade.
3.      Plant TBs only in the best-prepared, well-fertilized beds.

Sharon McAllister

Come check out our brand new web site!
Onelist: Making the Internet intimate