Re: CULT: Aborted bloom stalks on TBs??

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Aborted bloom stalks on TBs??
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 19:44:18 -0800

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>

and Jeff writes:
> On very rare occasions I have had newly planted rhizomes with reblooming
> tendencies attempt to put up stalks late in the fall that were aborted
> because they were frost killed while they were still in the early stages
> development.
The latter happened this fall to CHIMERA.  The description would match what
Linda describes.  About 20% of those I purchased last year have little
and look as if the main fan is marginal, but they would not match what
is describing.  Betty remarks that a rhizome which puts lots of energy into

increase might do this, but that does not appear to be convincing upon my
observations.  All those with aggressive numbers of increase have a healthy
mother rhizome fan.  Those with the stunted ones have increase from one to
as many as five.  LEMON CHESS and ELECTRIQUE have thirteen and nine,
for example, but have healthy mother fans.  I really don't worry too much
the phenomenon, since so many still bloom.  CHIMERA will not unless some
of the increase managed to get mature enough.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7

Is ONElist important to you?  Has it changed your life?
Come visit our new web site and share with us your stories