HYB: Polyploidy, unreduced gametes and such

  • Subject: HYB: Polyploidy, unreduced gametes and such
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 06:52:37 -0500

Kevin Vaughn's published protocols for the use of Oryzalin in inducing tetraploid status, although not developed for irises, has been used (by Vaughn and others) in producing the tetra LA's.

As to depending on stumbling across unreduced gametes for tetraploid production, I might comment that I made hundreds of crosses of diploid X tetraploid beardeds fishing for such and never got a single seed.  My experience is that this is not a real swift method of development.

Historically the tetraploids that have occurred this way (Dominion, etc) were few, far between, and often such heavily used and outstanding benchmark breeders when they DID occur that their rarity gets obscured.

At one time there was some controversy about the origin of Snow Flurry.  There are those who questioned Thais as the pollen parent, suggesting one of the California blues to be the other parent.  An argument from observed type for SF, however, being from a *pallida* parent is the branching and sheath character, quite untypical for Asiatic tetraploids.  Tetraploids rarely occur if the diploid is the pollen parent.  If the pedigree is true, Snow Flurry is a significant exception.

Neil Mogensen  z 6b/7a near Asheville, NC

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!