Re: HYB: Polyploidy, unreduced gametes and such

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Polyploidy, unreduced gametes and such
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 09:22:20 -0500

Neil Mogensen in NC said:
<....As to depending on stumbling across unreduced gametes for
tetraploid production, I might comment that I made hundreds of crosses
of diploid X tetraploid beardeds fishing for such and never got a single
seed.  My experience is that this is not a real swift method of
development....  Historically the tetraploids that have occurred this
way (Dominion, etc) were few, far between, and often such heavily used
and outstanding benchmark breeders when they DID occur that their rarity
gets obscured.>

Hi Neil - hmm, now this has not been my experience at all with our local
version of I. pallida.  My first hybridizing experience, for that
matter, & I wasn't even putting the pollen in the right place - I was
globbing it all over the style crests.  Done before reading The World of
Iris.  Pallida blooms so early here that it is often frozen out by late
freezes.  Because it is so fragrant, I wanted to have some
later-blooming offspring.  The cross was I. pallida X MULBERRY ROSE.  I
now have a few F2s from that cross plus some F3 seeds.  All of these
crosses have made relatively full pods.

I also have a few seedlings from pallida and DUSKY CHALLENGER (that must
have been a REALLY mild spring - usually DC doesn't even make pollen) &
had reasonably good success with mixed pollen on pallida.  Nothing in
the latter batch of seedlings is particularly special, but there are a
few that are really hardy, pretty blue ones that I've kept.

In fact, I found this cross to be so easy, I quit doing it... insight
into my contrary temperament <g>

On the other hand, Mike Sutton keeps trying to cross it with something
interesting in California with no luck.  And I have had no luck in
crosses with variegata, HONORABILE or ..

After there was some discussion onlist about germanica being sterile, I
even managed to get one seed from a cross of RASPBERRY JAM (SDB?) x
germanica.  I don't think it germinated, but the seed may still be in a
pot somewhere.

It's just the 'normal' crosses I have trouble with <g>

Some more thoughts in another post.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8
seriously cold weather for a change