Re: HYB: ploidy - speculation

  • Subject: Re: HYB: ploidy - speculation
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 09:34:58 -0500

In a fairly recent AIS Bulletin (I think) there was an article about all
the successful crosses of IBs and TBs, also previously thought to be a
usually difficult cross.

My own intuition is that these crosses among iris with different n
number is 'easier' when the parents share ... drat, too ignorant to
articulate this thought....Anyway, I have gotten the impression from
some earlier discussions here that modern TB 'tetraploids' may behave
somewhat like amphidiploids, so that crosses are easier when the diploid
sets of chromosomes match more fully.  And the diploids don't match one
another perfectly either (i.e., the diploid crosses (i.e., pallida X
variegata) may also act a little bit like 'amphihalfadiploids').  As
generations of hybrids (and hybridizers!) pass, the individual sets of
chromosomes gradually get scrambled so that the matches become different
(no 'real' pallida or variegata sets of chromosomes still exist).

When I made the cross of germanica with an SDB, I chose that cross,
rather than a TB cross because I suspected it might match better.
ackk.  I need language and data.

Sharon McAllister sent me an interesting article on this topic last year
that managed to get buried in junk before I had a chance to read it, but
is going to resurface once the remodeling mess is done (they were hoping
to be done by Thanksgiving???).  I will try to post something that
hopefully makes more sense after I find it and read it.  Assuming my ISP
holds itself together for a while now.

Unless Sharon has time & is willing to step in and once again attempt to
translate my thought here into technically useful English! <g>

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8