Re: Re: HYB: ploidy - speculation

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: HYB: ploidy - speculation
  • From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 10:48:12 -0600

When you cross a dip with a tet, how can you tell what the offspring

The seedlings that die early - how do we know they are dip or tet?  I
guess it depends on the stage of their growth before death and
whether chromosome counts were done.  I mention this because I have
read the phrase 'tetraploid seedlings' from colchicine experiments
when the seedlings, in fact, died.  I think they might have been
labeled tet too soon - before they were tested or were of any size to
speculate about their ploidy.

I know with some tet La's, you can tell they are tet by looking at
the foliage - the Mertzweiller tets have larger and darker leaves and
can be spotted as tets by sight.  Can bearded tets from dip x tet
crosses also be spotted by sight, or must a count be done?

But, then, I think of some West Coast bearded irises with skimpy,
narrow foliage from inbreeding lines of tet x tet.  So, how can you

Will the variegated foliage breeders be able to tell dip from tet
seedlings on sight before tests and bloom?  Will the bloom tell?

I have almost as many questions as Linda!   :-)

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS 7/8 USA (Where it never gets as cold as the weathermen
predict, thank goodness!  We have not had a three-dog night yet).

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!