Re: Re: HYB: ploidy - speculation

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: HYB: ploidy - speculation
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 12:13:10 -0600

Linda,

>Sharon McAllister sent me an interesting article on this topic

Was it 'Karyotype Analysis of Bearded Iris' by Jvotirmay Mitra from
BOTANICAL GAZETTE, Volume 117, number 4 published 1956?  This article covers
evolutionary aspects in bearded irises.  A quote "It is suggested that
chromosomal repatterning, possibly as a result of segmental interchange,
inversion, or duplication, accompanied by both auto- and allotetraploidy,
has played an important role in the origin of bearded iris species."

On I. germanica "Karyotype analyses indicated that the 44-chromosome natural
hybrids, such as I. germanica, originated from the hybrid combination of
40-chromosome dwarf species and 48-chromosome tall species.  No new kinds of
chromosomes were seen in the 44-chromosome hybrids that were not present
either in 40-chromosome dwarf or 48-chromosome tall species."  I guess this
is why I. germanica is sometimes referred to as 'a natural hybrid' rather
than a species.

Segmental interchange of material between chromosomes is the part that
interests me.  Does this kind of interchange affect fertility?  Can the
result be similar enough to normal chromosomes to allow genetic material to
move into the gene pool of hybrid plants?  Is this, in fact, what is at work
in modern TBs with their varied background of species?

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA
>that managed to get buried in junk before I had a chance to read it, but
>is going to resurface once the remodeling mess is done (they were hoping
>to be done by Thanksgiving???).  I will try to post something that
>hopefully makes more sense after I find it and read it.  Assuming my ISP
>holds itself together for a while now.
>
>Unless Sharon has time & is willing to step in and once again attempt to
>translate my thought here into technically useful English! <g>
>
>Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!