Re: HYB: ploidy - speculation

  • Subject: Re: HYB: ploidy - speculation
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 13:34:35 -0500

Yeah, Donald, that's it.  Thanks.

I am still muddled on allotetraploid vs amphidiploid (among other things
<g>).

<Segmental interchange of material between chromosomes is the part
that    interests me.  Does this kind of interchange affect fertility?
Can the  result be similar enough to normal chromosomes to allow genetic
material to move into the gene pool of hybrid plants?  Is this, in fact,
what is at work in modern TBs with their varied background of species?>

That's sort of what I was thinking.  Sort of as if there were a
relatively small number of different basic <building blocks> (pieces of
chromosomes?) available to all the bearded iris species (i.e., all/most
existing bearded species are 'multiploid' for several traits) & a
certain percentage of those building blocks (tho not necessarily all)
have to match up in both parents in order to produce viable seeds
(lining up at centromeres & all that stuff I forget...).

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8
with apologies to all the teachers and rigorous linear thinkers out
there!<g>