Re: Re: HYB: ploidy - speculation

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: HYB: ploidy - speculation
  • From: arilbredbreeder@cs.com
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 13:50:56 EST

In a message dated 1/1/02 7:35:10 AM Mountain Standard Time,
lmann@volfirst.net writes:

> Unless Sharon has time & is willing to step in and once again attempt to
> translate my thought here into technically useful English! <g>

Only a thumbnail sketch today....

I think you're referring to a long-ago discussion of karyotype analysis and
the role of homologous chromosomes in inter-species compatibility.  Counting
chromosomes is just the first step.  Identification of individual ones and
comparing size and shape both within a set and with chromosomes
characteristic of other species can reveal a great deal about compatibility
and the evolutionary process.

The key point:  although species do have some distinctive chromosomes, they
also have some that are quite similar to those of their relatives.  Species
with a high proportion of compatible sets cross with relative ease, while
those with fewer like sets pose a greater challenge.

Further along the spectrum, species with a low proportion of compatible sets
sometimes produce amphidiploid offspring.  The stoloniferabreds and
hoogianabreds are a commonly cited example -- but relatively few have been
introduced and those with whom I've discussed these lines have shared my
experience that such crosses are much less productive than work within either
of the parental families.

Both the normal functioning of homologous chromosomes and the phenomenon of
amphidiploidlike breeding behavior have played important roles in the
development of today's iris, but I think it will be easier if we discuss them
separately here.

Sharon McAllister

Win a Capcom Console Game of Your Choice Or Even a Capcom Arcade System. Click Here to Enter.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/tmpz8B/exbDAA/ySSFAA/2gGylB/TM