Re: HYB: Ploidy speculation

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Ploidy speculation
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 06:24:17 -0500

My goodness!

Eloy Boon,  Iribov,  The Netherlands said:
<During analyses we found that the DNA  content of the diploid parents
is different. The hybrid has intermediate DNA content. If I receive
unknown material I can tell on the basis of DNA content what is the
constitution of the material: A triploid with 2 sets of  tingitana has a
different DNA content as an triploid with 1 set of  tingitana....
The costs of the analyses of ploidy level that our laboratory charges
per  sample is approx between 2 and 4 US$ plus costs per order. >

How much does it cost to evaluate the DNA content and would you likely
be able to use the same techniques for bearded irises as for Dutch
irises?  For instance, I would like to know how much similarity of DNA
content there it in some cultivars I grow:

1) HONORABILE versus I. variegata
2) I. kashmiriana versus a local cultivar

I would also like a definite ploidy count on the pallida I grow here
that I've used in crosses with modern TBs.

Thanks very much for the reply - please let me know if you might
consider attempting such tests for bearded irises & how much it might
cost.  Also, what might be the costs for shipping material from the US
to The Netherlands, what amount of material would be needed, & in what
condition (i.e., a piece of rhizome, active shoot or root meristem,
etc).

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!