Re: HYB: heredity of fragrance

  • Subject: Re: HYB: heredity of fragrance
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 06:57:42 -0500

This question came by a while ago - apologies for not looking up who

I am very interested in hearing about heredity of fragrance in other
flowers.  Can you post something brief or point to some web information
on the subject?

One of the difficulties in tracking heredity of fragrance of flowers is
that you would almost have to track heredity of the fragrance detectors
as well! <g>.  I've been amazed at the differences among people in not
only detecting fragrances but in characterizing them.  I've learned that
there are some irises that have a fragrance that I can't detect that is
described as pleasant.  Some friends were here a few years ago - husband
and wife, mother of wife, & daughter - & there were distinct differences
in what fragrances they could & couldn't detect as well as how they
perceived them.  The wife & her mother were the same in their detection
of fragrances.  The husband was different and the daughter shared/lacked
some scent sensitivities with each parent.

I tried to take notes at one of our shows a few years ago (and one of
these days will actually send them to the person who was collecting that
information!).  Several of our club members sniffed a few blossoms at
the same time and we also had differences in our abilities to detect and
characterise fragrances.  Some flowers had a fragrance that I found
particularly unpleasant that others described as somewhat neutral.

So, that doesn't answer your question at all....

My only experience with heredity of fragrance has been my crosses with
I. pallida.  The sweet scent of pallida was diluted in most, but not
all, of her seedlings.  If our local pallida is a diploid like it's
supposed to be, then maybe this means that a tetraploid has to have at
least a triple dose of this particular type of fragrance.

Linda Mann east

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!