Re: OT--our Aussie friends OK?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] OT--our Aussie friends OK?
  • From: "Kitty & Bruce Loberg" <loberg@jps.net>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 20:17:18 -0800

Dear Jan and Carol,
    Heather sent me a New Years note, which included a report on her situation below.   I don't think she'd mind if I shared this portion from her note.   I just wish I could send her some of the rain we have... I'd love a week long break in our rain right now!
Kitty Loberg
Northern Calif.

------------    from Heather Pryor
We are (thankfully) about 40 miles from the bushfires raging here in Sydney and our home and garden are safe and snug from the flames.  However, the smoke completely covers the city and yesterday we could not even see to the bottom of our street for the smoke.

The original 5,000-strong volunteer and career firefighters numbers have been increased to 15,000 over the last few days as teams have arrived from all over the country to fight the fires.  Sydney is ringed by bushfires at present.  We have a huge greenbelt of national parks around Sydney which actually, if combined, take up the same size as the city itself.  This is why we are having so many problems with the fires at present.  Proper rain is still not forecast for another 4 - 5 days yet so the battle continues....

>The Pryors are in Sydney I think. I haven't heard anything of them, they are
>mainly active on the LA list.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!