Re: OT--our Aussie friends OK?

  • Subject: Re: OT--our Aussie friends OK?
  • From: "iris01addict" <iris01addict@yahoo.com.au>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 05:09:48 -0000

Dear All

What really impresses me with this chat group is that things we see
now on the news, etc. are now so real to us and we all relate to and
think of the people we know in these places.  The places are now not
just places on a map.

The concern and caring is appreciated by all, everywhere, I'm sure.

We are just a family of iris lovers and although a lot of distance,
etc. separates us, it helps to share and receive these feelings in
these times.

I hope these messages keep being a part of iris talk and continue,
when the need arises.

Here in South Australia, we have been having winter (seems like it,
although the sun is shining now). With windy, rainy days.

Was good for the hot traditional Christmas dinner that some/most
still have.  A lot different than when the temperature is around 100
deg. as per normal.

As overseas has expressed, we too are worried about the people we
know in Sydney and elsewhere, as the fires do not seem to be
lessening and most were deliberately lit as well.

Regards

Dian Mitterer
South Australia

--- In iris-talk@y..., "Kitty & Bruce Loberg" <loberg@j...> wrote:
> Dear Jan and Carol,
>     Heather sent me a New Years note, which included a report on
her situation below.   I don't think she'd mind if I shared this
portion from her note.   I just wish I could send her some of the
rain we have... I'd love a week long break in our rain right now!
> Kitty Loberg
> Northern Calif.
>
> ------------    from Heather Pryor
> We are (thankfully) about 40 miles from the bushfires raging here
in Sydney and our home and garden are safe and snug from the flames.
However, the smoke completely covers the city and yesterday we could
not even see to the bottom of our street for the smoke.

> The original 5,000-strong volunteer and career firefighters numbers
have been increased to 15,000 over the last few days as teams have
arrived from all over the country to fight the fires.  Sydney is
ringed by bushfires at present.  We have a huge greenbelt of national
parks around Sydney which actually, if combined, take up the same
size as the city itself.  This is why we are having so many problems
with the fires at present.  Proper rain is still not forecast for
another 4 - 5 days yet so the battle continues....

> >The Pryors are in Sydney I think. I haven't heard anything of
them, they are
> >mainly active on the LA list.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!