HYB: kashmiriana, ploidy and more

  • Subject: HYB: kashmiriana, ploidy and more
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 05:58:59 -0500

I've loaned my resource books to my daughter, so my long-term memory, frequently flawed is drawn upon concerning I. kashmiriana.  Randolph and Mitra's published chromosome counts included the species, I think, and showed counts of both 44 and 48 if I remember correctly.  I have a vague memory of some discussion, or a count, of a diploid form as well..

Linda, might what you have be hybrid?

With the pallida that produces abundant seed with tetraploid crosses, is it possible you are getting self-pollinated pods?  Thrips seem to love pallida and its fragrance, I recall.  I trust you have bloomed seedlings.  Did you not post a picture of one of the pallida X Dolly Madison progeny last year?  The --again--vague memory I have was of a bloom quite obviously intermediate in type.  Perhaps I am remembering something else.

Bill Shear's suggestion of using Eloy Bloom's DNA techniques on the JS hybrids is an excellent suggestion for confirming or not confirming the hybrid status of the plants.  The phenotypes and growth habits certainly support the hybrid origins.  I have seen ADRENALINE RUSH in bloom and look forward to seeing others this spring.  The DNA test might be most instructive.

Thanks, Sharon, for reminding us of the old-timers' rule of thumb of the "One in ten thousand."  I had known that at one time and forgotten.  My "hundreds" of crosses didn't begin to scratch the probabilities, did it?

So how do we incorporate astrachanica, timofejewii and what other jewels may emerge out of Russia and Afghanistan in our coming "peace?"  Breeding with these at the diploid level may be fun, but doesn't introduce the potentially useful genetics into modern tetraploid lines.  Tens of thousands of pollenizations take time, space and more patience than most of us have.  Bloom's procedures may offer some hope.

Neil Mogensen     z 6b/7a near Asheville, NC

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!