Re: HYB: kashmiriana, ploidy and more

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] HYB: kashmiriana, ploidy and more
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 07:27:45 -0700

> From: Neil A Mogensen <neilm@charter.net>
> With the pallida that produces abundant seed with tetraploid crosses, is
it possible you are getting self-pollinated pods?  Thrips seem to love
pallida and its fragrance, I recall.  I trust you have bloomed seedlings.
Did you not post a picture of one of the pallida X Dolly Madison progeny
last year?  The --again--vague memory I have was of a bloom quite obviously
intermediate in type.  Perhaps I am remembering something else.

Linda Mann sent me a rhizome of the seedling from the pallida X Mulberry
Rose cross she mentioned in a recent post to Iris-talk several years ago.
It is certainly not a pure pallida in its characteristics and sets bee pods
like crazy here. The pods are filled with normal appearing seeds, though I
have not planted any to test their fertility.

> Bill Shear's suggestion of using Eloy Bloom's DNA techniques on the JS
hybrids is an excellent suggestion for confirming or not confirming the
hybrid status of the plants.

The gentleman in the Netherlands who is doing DNA testing of irises
identified himself as Eloy Boon, not Bloom, though that appears to be Bill
Shear's error and not yours.

> Thanks, Sharon, for reminding us of the old-timers' rule of thumb of the
"One in ten thousand."  I had known that at one time and forgotten.  My
"hundreds" of crosses didn't begin to scratch the surface, did it? Tens of
thousands of pollenizations take time, space and more patience than most of
us have.

My understanding of this "rule" is that it applies to the number of
seedlings that must be raised from a particular cross (or type of cross) to
obtain the desired result in a single plant, not to the number of such
crosses that must be made.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!