Re: HYB: kashmiriana, ploidy, pallida crosses

  • Subject: Re: HYB: kashmiriana, ploidy, pallida crosses
  • From: "nmogens" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 19:16:46 -0000

--- In iris-talk@y..., Linda Mann <lmann@v...> wrote:
"... (pallida X MULBERRY ROSE....I don't grow DOLLY
> MADISON (in fact don't know what it looks like), so that must be
> somebody else."

My antique memory bin---another cross-over.  Dr. Loomis used Mulberry
Rose, D. Hall used Dolly Madison in parallel ways.  The two do
resemble each other a little--yellow ground color in the hafts
(appearing rosy brown in MR), both with "t" factor, similar form,
etc.  Didn't intend to mix them up.  You responded to the question I
meant rather than the one I stated.  Thanks.

>" Neil, do you remember which diploid crosses you tried?"

Vaguely---I had a hybrid between cengialtii and reginae that was TB
in height, weak stems but a lovely, flared flower with butterfly
veining in the falls.  I pollenized every bloom it ever produced for
several years with various aphylla clones Dr. Randolph had sent me.
Also I used aphyllas on all the species diploids I had.  I never
tried the method you mention of overwhelming the flower with repeated
pollenizations and mixed sources--being fastidious and a purist I
meant to have reliable and known sources.  Instead, I got nothing.

Perhaps the aphylla was the weak source?  I'm not sure why I was
avoiding advanced tetraploids.  I certainly had some good things

The whole project disolved when we sold out and I left for seminary.
I wish I had the one useful hybrid back again, crooked stem and all

Neil M  z 6b/7a near Asheville, NC

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!