  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] OT-PLANTS: Arbor
  • From: "Vernon Brown" <vgbro@peoplepc.com>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 15:20:45 -0600

I was most interested in your request, as I have been thinking along those
lines. I have not seen a version of what you describe that I have found to
be strong enough, and \ or attractive enough, to last more than a short
However I have been looking at the 'decking' material made from recycled
plastics and am thinking that the 5\4 planks ( actual 1 by thickness) should
be usable if ripped and made into strips the size you are talking about,
then some light sanding and screwed together using a little glue. It should
last nearly forever. It will accept some small degree of stain and doesn't
deteriorate like wood.
I am going to use the plans that I got from Yankee Workshop and hope to
install it this summer. Hope this helps.

Vernon G. Brown
Malevil Gardens
Lubbock, Texas  USA
Zone 7 USDA, Zone 10  Sunset