Re:Our Aussie Friends O.K.?

  • Subject: Re:Our Aussie Friends O.K.?
  • From: "Carryl M. Meyer" <carrylm@bigsky.net>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 16:03:12 -0700

Thanks for the news about talkers in Australia--everytime I see the news
with all the fires and smoke--I think of them--
A summer ago, when there were so many fires in western Montana and Idaho,
and we had the valley full of smoke for a week--most of our flowers and some
veggies just plain stopped blooming or growing--no Iris were in bloom then,
but many annuals and Dahlias--thought the bloom season was over, and did not
set any new blooms--and carrots and onions and string beans also quit--no
more blooming or growing--so I wonder if the Iris will do the same???
It was not a problem of bees not flying--we had plenty of bees at out
yard--but since the smoke was lower in the valley than we are--I do not know
if the bees were flying in the thick smoke area or not--
(When we had the smoke from mount St. Helen's popping its top--the bees did
not fly in the lower areas of the valley--but since we were above the  heavy
ash level--we had bees doing their thing in our garden--bees from our own
If some iris-talkers in Oz think about it--would you please watch the Iris
and see what they do? I know that blooms are already set on the Iris stalks,
but see if all blooms open--and what the other annuals do--if they stop
blooming too?

Just curious--and I hope they catch and prosecute the arsonists who are out
there setting the new fires--
Carryl in western Montana--zone 3/4

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!