Subject: Re: REB: Mystery Iris

  • Subject: Subject: Re: REB: Mystery Iris
  • From: "Glenn Grigg" <gggrigg@bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 09:46:33 -0500

BG in Kentucky made the following statement in a post:

"I once gave an award for rebloomers shown at a
spring show and the judges insisted on using the
R & I's, rather than the cumulative list, to
determine eligibility."

While I don't often post to Iris-talk, she peaked my interest
enough to respond. Why would you want to single out rebloomers
at a spring show for ribbons. If they can not stand the test of
being compared to non rebloomers are you not doing a disservice to
irisdom to award ribbons ?

While the earlier reblooming iris were often inferior in what was considered
good form, many now can hold their own and need not be placed is a
special class of "the also runs"! The early hybridizers of rebloomers had
to deal with this stigma for decades, so we should put it to rest. Simply a tall
bearded reblooming iris should be held to the same standards as any other
tall bearded iris.

Glenn Grigg, Raleigh, NC Zone 7  Where we have
 12 inches of snow on the ground

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!