Re: HYB: kashmiriana, ploidy and more

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] HYB: kashmiriana, ploidy and more
  • From: Bill Shear <wshear@hsc.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 11:02:28 -0500

> Bill Shear's suggestion of using Eloy Bloom's DNA techniques on the JS hybrids
> is an excellent suggestion for confirming or not confirming the hybrid status
> of the plants.  The phenotypes and growth habits certainly support the hybrid
> origins.  I have seen ADRENALINE RUSH in bloom and look forward to seeing
> others this spring.  The DNA test might be most instructive.

Looking at Cindy Hensler's website (I have not seen any of the plants)  I
would not say that the phenotypes support hybridity.  One of the problems
with these supposed hybrids is that the blooms either look pure ensata or
pure siberica--a most unusual situation.  Some claims have been made for
intermediacy in the foliage but that seems to be stretching a point.

Bill Shear

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!