Re: Re: HYB: pallida crosses

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: HYB: pallida crosses
  • From: Bill Shear <wshear@hsc.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 11:24:13 -0500

There is an outside chance
> that these seedlings came from some other seed source (seeds given to me
> or collected somewhere or brought in on the wind...).  I make that
> caveat just for you Bill Shear <g>
> The second batch of seedlings were from mixed pollen on about a half
> dozen flowers, from which I think I got two pods and about 48 surviving
> seedlings.  Many of those were floppy stalked floppy falled ugly
> ducklings that I've been gradually getting rid of over the years.  A few
> were very short (almost SDB in size) with light colored (white?) blooms,
> which is why I wonder if this is truly a pallida species.

When attributing seedlings to wide crosses (like diploid X tetraploid), it
is crucial that the records be there if we, as the iris public, are to
accept the plants as real hybrids in the absence of any other conclusive
evidence.  Linda is being upfront and honest by telling us that she did not
track the seedlings from pod to bloom, and that they could be something else
entirely.  Also the question of the identity of the "pallida" parent has
been raised and that, of course, is important if the seedlings did indeed
come from this parent.  So, Bravo, Linda, for giving us this information.

I know that a lot of folks think I'm just an old sourpuss who wants to rain
on their parade (how's that for a mixed metaphor!), but frankly, in science
extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.  Otherwise we are down
to the National Enquirer level.

Linda's pallida seedlings may really be palllida seedlings, and the Hensler
hybrids might really be hybrids.  But as of now, there is no conclusive
proof of either.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
FAX (434)223-6374
Moderating e-lists:

"A man thinks as well through his legs and arms as his brain.  We exaggerate
the importance and exclusiveness of the headquarters.  Do you suppose they
were a race of consumptives and dyspeptics who invented Grecian mythology
and poetry?  The poet's words are, "You would almost say the body thought!"
I quite say it.  I trust we have a good body then."  --Henry David Thoreau,
Journals, Dec. 31, 1860.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!