Re: HYB: pallida crosses

  • Subject: Re: HYB: pallida crosses
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 12:04:59 -0500

<Linda's pallida seedlings may really be pallida seedlings, ....  But as
of now, there is no conclusive proof.>

I appreciate your occasionally questioning some of my statements, Bill.
As most of you listers know, I tend to be more intuitive than linear and
tend to make jumps from point A to point D without necessarily thinking
thru/documenting the path thru points B & C.  Having spent 30 yrs in
research, I recognize both the benefits of the former and the necessity
of the latter.  Sometimes, I make those jumps without realizing I've
done it, and have to back up and figure out how I got there.  &
sometimes, what seems obvious turns out not to be so.

So while it seems obvious that S1 is I. pallida X MULBERRY ROSE, it may
not be.  The blue seedlings are definitely from what is known as I.
pallida, but the more I read articles by folks trying to sort out
historic irises, especially these really ancient, 'ancestral' ones, the
more I realize that what is in commerce/traded over the back fence may
not exactly be representative of any originally wild species.  Instead,
it may actually be a form collected & passed along because it was
atypical of the wild species, & for all I know, could be a hybrid of
some sort.

Someone on the list was going to send me some known strains of pallida
for comparison, but I didn't follow up & didn't hear back from them.
Maybe I will remember to try to buy some from somewhere this year.  I
have tried to grow both variegated forms and neither has done well (I
think the yellow one died).  Neither has the robust stature of our local
version of pallida.  The white one is quite diminuitive in comparison.

On the other hand....Although I can understand that hybridizers in more
amenable growing areas would want to be certain of parentage before
using any of these seedlings as parents, as with my 'pallida' children,
I don't care whether or not Christy Hensler's seedlings are hybrids or
not - they grow for me.  The ones I planted in a partially shaded,
gravelly weed patch have grown like mad.  I can hardly wait to see if
they will bloom - will send pix to the National Enquirer <g>

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!