Re: HYB: pallida crosses

  • Subject: Re: HYB: pallida crosses
  • From: "nmogens" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 20:32:45 -0000

--- In iris-talk@y..., Linda Mann <lmann@v...> wrote:

" I don't care whether or not Christy Hensler's seedlings are hybrids
or not - they grow for me.  The ones I planted in a partially shaded,
 gravelly weed patch have grown like mad.  I can hardly wait to see if
> they will bloom - will send pix to the National Enquirer <g>
>
> Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8"

I have a number of the plants--the parental ones as well as progenies
of two different generations.  ADRENALINE RUSH put up a small stalk
after arrival here with a singe bloom.  I hope to see others in the
spring.  I find them fascinating and am not especially hung up on
exactly WHAT they are.  Boon's test would be helpful and add to the
fun.

In terms of iris evolution there must be some common ground among the
species related to the sino-siberians, siberica and ensata.  Even if
Tony Huber's proposal or speculation (?) is or is not accurate, the
common and shared DNA sequences would likely be substantial between
the various groups.  The peculiar problem of phenotypes with no
intergradiation in the blossom construction is not the only
phenotypic aspect present in these plants.  Foliage character, roots,
growth habits, moisture requirements are part of that array as well.

Neil Mogensen  z6b/7a near Asheville, NC

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/WoOlbB/7.PDAA/ySSFAA/2gGylB/TM