Measuring DNA content proves hybrid nature?

  • Subject: Measuring DNA content proves hybrid nature?
  • From: Eloy Boon <eloyboon@iribov.nl>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 23:02:36 +0100

If a hybrid has intermediate DNA content of the assumed parents it is no
prove they are hybrids, but it is a strong indication that it is especially
when other the intermediate value between possible parents don't fit with
that of the hybrid. In most genera I have analysed so far there is
considerable variation in DNA content between species but also variation
within one specie ocuurs!

In situ hybridization with specie specific probes is of course a much more
powerful tool but also some magnitudes more difficult to do. For determining
the DNA content by flow cytometry a simple non specific protocol has to be
developed and any tissue can be used.

If some tissue is available and it is send by mail to me we could give an
answer to some questions next week, but I assume that it is now difficult to
obtain material.

Attached I have a pricelist for ploidy determination. In principle all
material can be used for the analyses but active growing material is the
best material, we receive normally a piece of leave but also root meristem
is possible. I don't know if a piece of rhizome will work.

For the isolation of nuclei ca 1 cm2 is used but some more tissue is
convenient. In most cases if we receive material from the USA it is send by
express mail and transport takes only one day. Since leaf of Iris is not
very fragile it will also survive longer shipping times, I donšt know how
many days normal mail takes. It is important that the material doesn't get
frozen during air transport.

Eloy Boon

Westeinde 149
1601 BM Enkhuizen