SHOW:AWARDS/was mystery iris

  • Subject: SHOW:AWARDS/was mystery iris
  • From: storylade@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 10:27:48 EST

In a message dated 1/4/2002 8:57:26 AM Central Standard Time,
gggrigg@bellsouth.net writes:

<<  Why would you want to single out rebloomers
 at a spring show for ribbons. >>

SKIS, as do many other clubs, presents a show in which club members are
allowed (often encouraged) to present additional ribbons for irises of their
choice.  For instance, we often have awards for the "the best pink" iris
or/and the "best Beverly Sills," which can result in two different pinks on
the table if Beverly Sills is represented in the show but not having a
particularly good year.  (If there is a BS award, she doesn't have to be in
top form to win the award.)  We may also have awards for irises introduced by
a given hybridizer in an effort to encourage the growth of their irises.

The reasons for giving these awards vary according to personal issues but
usually are given to encourage wider distribution of a given iris OR to
express someone's special interest.  In my case, the award was given because
I wanted to encourage the growing of rebloomers in an area that virtually
ignored the rebloomer AND it IS my special interest.  I've also given awards
for "best orange" and "best variegata."  People love to win awards!  (but it
can be overdone).

<<<<<While the earlier reblooming iris were often inferior in what was
good form, many now can hold their own and need not be placed is a
special class of "the also runs"! The early hybridizers of rebloomers had
to deal with this stigma for decades, so we should put it to rest.>>>>

I can see where people that grow irises in coastal regions might view
rebloomers in this light.  Isn't it nice to have beautiful modern irises
blooming nonstop for most of the year?  However, I think it would be nice if
the rest of the country/world could share in the beauty.  With work and time
it WILL happen.

GG, Although I will be the first to agree that rebloomers have/are advancing
rapidly, it is not time to lay down the torch!  Not if you live in my area of
the country where many of the rebloomers introduced in the last few years DO
NOT and, probably, WILL NOT fall bloom on anything like a regular basis.  I
see no evidence that it is time to quit working for advancements or to quit
trying to promote rebloomers.  The "also ran?"  With enough work and
encouragement they will eventually become "the only show in town!"

Sorry, but your remark reminded me of some comments I ran into as a new
hybridizer . . .  "You're breeding rebloomers?  Ha! Ha! Ha!  Well, good luck.
 You're sure going to need it!  Ha! Ha! Ha!"

Betty Wilkerson (a true believer . . . like you can't tell).  FROM BG KY USA
Zone 6

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!