HYB:Progress in Reblooming Irises

  • Subject: HYB:Progress in Reblooming Irises
  • From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 11:19:28 -0600

> Sorry, but your remark reminded me of some comments I ran into as a new
> hybridizer . . .  "You're breeding rebloomers?  Ha! Ha! Ha!  Well, good
> luck.
>  You're sure going to need it!  Ha! Ha! Ha!"
> Betty Wilkerson (a true believer . . . like you can't tell).  FROM BG KY
> USA Zone 6

    What I hear still to this day regarding rebloomers is, "They
never rebloom for me, so I don't grow them."  When irisarians
of 'some repute' say this at sales or other venues where one could
make a convert, it does nothing to further the cause and always rubs
me the wrong way.

   The reason for the "They never rebloom for me statement . . ." is
that these defamers place reported/registered rebloomers in regular
iris beds and do nothing to help the plants to express their
reblooming ability - no enriched soil, extra water, extra fertilizer,
afternoon shade in some locations, etc.    Basically, with these
people,  the regular bearded and  rebloomers are just forgotten about
the rest of the season until they are dug for the sale and we hear
again, "They never rebloom for me . .[that is why I am getting rid of
them] ."  The 'poor' rebloomers [good ones, too] never had a chance.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!