Re: RE:HYB-Progress in Reblooming iris

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] RE:HYB-Progress in Reblooming iris
  • From: Gerry Snyder <gerrysnyder@mediaone.net>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 19:21:58 -0800

Judy Eckhoff wrote:

> .
> I have very good luck with rebloomers if the weather co-operates !!!! Others
> around here never have rebloom, wonder why ???

Let us try not to be overly proud of our gardening skills.   <vbg>

For me Mesmerizer gives a solid five months of bloom per year. For
several others within just a few miles of me it gives normal springtime
bloom and that is it. And these folks are MUCH better gardeners than I
am. Microclimates, trace nutrients, and who knows what else are factors.

After all, reblooming is abnormal. An iris usually needs some chilling
(cold and/or short days) and warming (warm and/or longer days) to bloom.
When we get rebloom and neighbors don't, it could be that we get just
enough more of one of these triggers than they do to cause rebloom. For
me I'm sure it's something like this. For you and Waltah, though, more
appropriate care seems likely.

Gerry, looking forward to Amethyst Winter opening in a day or so

--
mailto:gerrysnyder@mediaone.net
Gerry Snyder, AIS Director & Symposium Chair, Region 15 RVP

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/WoOlbB/7.PDAA/ySSFAA/2gGylB/TM