Re: RE:HYB-Progress in Reblooming iris

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] RE:HYB-Progress in Reblooming iris
  • From: BigAlligator@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 21:48:48 EST

     This is getting interesting.  Part of the "they will not rebloom"
reputation comes from the fact that some Reblooming Irises are very reliable
in some climates, but not others.  I remember the first time I ever saw an
Iris bloom "out of season."  At first, I thought it was fake, but I found out
it was real.  Turns out it was POLAR KING, which is a very reliable rebloomer
in KY, which was where I lived then.  Even if neglected, POLAR KING will
rebloom.  Tend it, and it will bloom there from about Labor Day to
Thanksgiving.
     I was introduced to more Reblooming Irises through the Bluegrass Iris
Society, and was growing these Irises even when I had Horticulture Professors
telling me that "those don't do in Kentucky."  I changed their minds...
Anyway, other Kentucky [Lexington] suitable reblooming Irises were:  POLAR
KING, BELVI QUEEN, CORN HARVEST, IMMORTALITY, SUMMER HOLIDAYS, QUEEN DOROTHY,
PINK ATTRACTION, CANNINGTON BLUEBIRD [Before it struck by lightning],
BUCKWHEAT, THEN AGAIN, LITTLE SHOWOFF, LICHEN, ISTANBUL, EGYPTIAN.
     Now, I am at the "impossible" again:  Searching for Florida [USDA Zone
8b] suitable rebloomers.  Showing promise are:  WINTERLAND, WINESAP,
REINCARNATION, BUCKWHEAT, TEA LEAVES, and BILLIONAIRE.  There are some others
being tried that look good, such as BLATANT.  One big difference is that the
Irises have to be grown in pots here...  Those pots froze solid last night,
but that does not harm the plants.

Mark A. Cook
BigAlligator@aol.com
Dunnellon, Florida.   [USDA Zone 8b]        [Low 18 F, High 58 F]

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/WoOlbB/7.PDAA/ySSFAA/2gGylB/TM