dividing iris

I'm new to the list.  I hope you will bear with my very basic
questions!  Due to circumstances beyond my control, I did not get my
iris dug and divided last fall, and they really needed it.  Can I do
it now, or do I have to wait until this fall?

Also, do iris revert back to  the parent plant?  I had an orange
iris, but the second year it bloomed, it was not orange, it was
yellow, and it has not been orange since.  ????

Thanks for any help you can give me.  Oh, yes,  I live in West Texas,
if that will make a difference.

Queda