Re: CULT:Seedlings being attacked

  • Subject: Re: CULT:Seedlings being attacked
  • From: "pinkirises" <pbrooks@whidbey.net>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 04:47:23 -0000

Another possible solution to these problems:  I've made raised
seedling beds rimmed with the narrower concrete blocks (8x8x4) and
covered them with screens (you can usually get the warped ones for
free at window sellers).  I've anchored the frames with large stones
on all four corners, to protect from deer invaders.

Now mind you, this is my first year producing seeds, let alone
planting them, but I've used this sort of structure for a cold frame
with good success. The screens seem to work not only for protection,
but for screening heavy rains.  Whether the method will produce high
germination for my precious seeds is yet to be seen.  I have every
appendage crossed.

Patricia Brooks
Whidbey Island, WA, zone 8/9

--- In iris-talk@y..., Steve & Sharlyn Rocha <srocha@p...> wrote:
> Hello List,
>     A few months ago I posted a message that our seedlings that
were sprouting were being ripped out of the ground root and all. Last
week I finally found out what it was. We had moved the seedlings once
more and covered them with bird netting for fruit trees. I looked
outside and could see a bird under the netting hopping around from
pot to pot. I ran out and chased it off, actually I was trying to
catch it. I have it sealed off now with 2 by 4's and staples from a
staple gun and the little birds can't get in. The type of bird that
has been causing me so much grief and sorrow is the White Crowned
Sparrow . To us it was the discovery of the year. We all try so hard
to make just the right cross, get them to germinate as if that wasn't
difficult enough and have something killing them when they came up
was almost too much to take for an irisarian.