  • Subject: OT: Re: VIRUS
  • From: "pinkirises" <pbrooks@whidbey.net>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 04:57:42 -0000

Thank you so much.  How lucky are we that we get not only expert info
on irises here, but on the mysteries of computers as well.

Patricia Brooks

--- In iris-talk@y..., "John Bruce" <jbruce1@c...> wrote:
> Rosalie, Patricia --
> A very simplified explanation.
> Any virus protection you install on your own computer will only
scan files on or incoming to your computer.
> The server at your isp either will only scan for viruses that can
be a danger to their server. Any
> scanning of files that pose no threat to their server that are to a
customer destination is icing on the cake.
> A "client" is the program resident on your computer that recieves
email, provides a chat conduit, etc.
> "pop3" stands for 'point of presence type 3', the nearly universal
protocol for email transmission across
> the internet.
> It works this way: Person A, using their email client, (Outlook
express for instance) sends a message to
> person B. It first travels to the server of their internet provider
(AOL for instance). From there it takes a route
> directly to the server of person B's internet provider. (or it may
go thru 25 other servers to get there). Then
> person B downloads the email thru the client on their computer
(Netscape Mail, eudora, AOL, etc.)
> Person A (sender) needs a virus scanner to ensure there isn't a
virus in their email transmission. All
> the internet service providers' servers it passes thru (hopefully)
ensure there is nothing in it which
> will infect their servers (protecting service to thousands  of
their customers). Person B (reciever) needs a virus scanner to make
sure their computer and data are safe from anything that comes in.
> The problem lies with the fact that viruses are tilored to look
like good things that people want to send and recieve.
> Total safety would make it nearly impossible for anyone to use the
net. It is sort of like making the wilds of Africa
> safe for all....take out the wild animals, dangerous plants, etc.
But then there is nothing left to recommend visiting....
> As far as virus protection, nothing is foolproof. As soon as you
get vaccinatd for one disease, a new one comes