Re: CULT: Dividing Irises.

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Dividing Irises.
  • From: "pinkirises" <pbrooks@whidbey.net>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 05:07:44 -0000

Queda (what a great name!)

Why not do it immediately after spring bloom?  I've learned on this
list that you can even dig and sell while in bloom, for immediate
replanting.  Once they've bloomed, their fragility basically ends;
and though growers don't cut down the leaves and dig and ship until
fall, if the leaves and rhizomes are not butchered in the process,
they can be moved/divided right after bloom.  Unless you're dealing
with major heat at the time, I suspect.

Patricia Brooks
Whidbey Island, WA, zone 8/9

--- In iris-talk@y..., BigAlligator@a... wrote:
> In a message dated 1/20/02 4:56:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> rubyred342000@y... writes:
>
> <<  At the time my irises should have
>  been divided, we were dealing with my mother's illness
>  and subsequent death.  Needless to say, my yard is in
>  dire need of some tender loving care.   >>
>
> Queda,
>      The best time to divide Irises in your climate would be in the
fall,
> when the summer heat starts to abate.  However, they can be divided
in the
> spring, but doing so will sacrifice that season's bloom.
>
> Mark A. Cook
> BigAlligator@a...
> Dunnellon, Florida      USDA Zone 8b.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!