RE: OT:Club dues

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] OT:Club dues
  • From: John Reeds <jreeds@microsensors.com>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 13:30:50 -0800

> From: 	Gordon & Loraine Nicholson[SMTP:iris4u@pacbell.net]
> I am responding to club dues question thru the chat line since I find it
> an interesting topic and we are in so many different parts of the
> country and world. Our club San Joaquin iris So. charges $8 for singles
> and $12 for families (more then one person). It does not cover mailing,
> insurance, etc: Now on the other hand the local garden club which
> numbered about 30 six years ago and now numbers well over 700, charges
> $30 per person and is raising that again. They have no problem getting
> the $30!! The members know that to have interesting meetings and doings
> that they have to pay!! Maybe we in the iris world are short changing
> our membership and potential new members by not setting our sights and
> our dues high enough. What do you think?
> Lorraine in Modesto CA. zone 9

I find that most iris growers are enthusiastic hobbyists that wish to share
their love of iris with others.  A number of iris clubs welcome guests, and
the membership charge is nominal, primarily to cover the cost of mailings.
Field trips and the like can certainly be paid for by specific fees, which
prevents a high membership fee from discouraging new members if their
schedules do not coincide with those of the trip organizers.  Should AIS
dues include paid convention costs?  I think not.

Before I moved, I was a member of the San Fernando Valley Iris Society.  A
really nice group of people.  I went to 3 or 4 meetings before paying the
$10 to join.  I told the membership secretary, "I'm not much of one to join
clubs, but you are all such a nice group of people I wouldn't want you to
think I was just a freeloader".  So, she announced "We have one new member.
John Reeds isn't a freeloader anymore".  Good for a laugh, anyway.  But I
appreciated the fact that joining didn't require a major financial
investment.  Let the costly activities be paid for by the participant, let
sales and the like pay for shows and guest speakers, and let the dues pay
for the meeting room, insurance, and club bulletins.

That's my opinion, anyway.

John Reeds
jreeds@microsensors.com

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!