Re: CULT: Dividing Irises.

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: Dividing Irises.
  • From: tjstanek@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 18:32:42 EST

In December 1982 my parents moved a house onto the lot where my iris were
planted near Omaha Nebraska.  The dozer scraped the tags from my seeds and
lined out seedlings. That year we had an early winter with about 10" of snow
on them at the time of the dirt work. plywood was put over the rows where the
backhoe dug the footings the construction workers were very careful not to
dig any more than what was needed. They put the clumps dirt and all in piles
with the iris side up.  In January came a thaw and I was able to use a
mattock to chip a 10' path around the house. In February more thaw and I was
able to move more away from the house. During these winter moves the snow was
scraped off the ground and the iris were placed on bare earth. then I piled
about 1or 1-1/2 feet of snow from piles along side the drive.  Finally in
march the snow was gone off the moved iris (pretty Squishy dirt around them).
I found a lot of grape boxes and planted them in the boxes as close together
with very little Dirt. These were moved to my sisters house where they
remained until about the 1st week in April where they were finally planted in
rows that I had tilled in soybean stubble from the previous year.  Most all
the iris lived and most all of them bloomed that same May with some blooming
right through till fall.  I should also let you Know that all the above iris
were transplanted in July and August of 1982 so it really dose not make to
much difference when they are transplanted as long as they aren't shipped
across the county cleaned and dried.  Of course I wouldn't recommend this
type of procedures unless you are in a pinch. After all most early day plant
collectors pulled up plants whenever they were in the vicinity.
Tim Stanek
Zone 4
Nebraska to Iowa

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!