re: AIS/OT Club Dues responses

  • Subject: re: AIS/OT Club Dues responses
  • From: "chadschroter" <chadschroter@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 18:44:51 -0000

    I would like to thank all of you who responded to my query, both
privately and to the list. Since you all have been so forthcoming,
may I detail our situation ? :) Our club works very similarly to
those around the US, we depend on Iris sales for most of our revenue.
Some would say we do too much work and hold too many sales - we
purchase a LOT of Iris from grower's which are given away
as 'doorprizes' or auctioned off to club members at bargain prices
and this creates the demand for revenue. We have roughly 50% AIS
membership and usually qualify for affiliate status, but we are
always on the 'edge' of having to cough up the $50. This is a large
club - I currently mail out some 76 newsletters (every month!) and
have sent out as many as 125 when including guests etc. We try to get
good speakers for our meetings etc....

    I think it is important that we are open to new members (and
inexpensive), particularly the non - AIS variety, because most people
seem to get hooked by coming to a show or visiting someones garden,
and are not aware of AIS, and may be turned off by the cost. On the
other hand we have the old 10% does 90% of the work scenario and it
would'nt hurt to spread some of it around in the form of a dues
increase.

   Chad Schroter in Los Gatos CA, where if you think the club dues
are high - try to buy a house !!!

Monitoring Service trial