  • Subject: CULT:Increase
  • From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 12:52:12 -0600

I don't want to sound picky, but isn't the 3 to 5 increase 'rule of
thumb' better discussed under culture?  At a show, there is just the
one stalk, and you cannot tell anything about the clump.  This
paragraph is under Garden Judging.

The counting of the rhizomes should occur in early spring before you
see any bloomstalks, I would think.  But, since this paragraph in the
JT handbook also discusses a 15 point deduction for lack of vigor, it
would stand to reason that the increase is being counted at the time
the iris clump is judged during bloom season in the garden.

Many newer varieties come with the 3 to 5 increases already built in.
You need to wait two or three years before you really decide on the
vigor because some of these rhizomes showing increase already may not
take to your climate and that increase never matures into a fan.
When I had an extensive sales list, I used to count the rhizomes in
early spring in order to make the list.  It was always aggravating to
list something, then have it bloom out, or nearly so, for you.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

Monitoring Service trial