CULT:Planting Signa Seed

  • Subject: CULT:Planting Signa Seed
  • From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 09:37:29 +1100

Walter wrote:
>Today is the warm, sunshiny day, a planting day.
>I have recently learned that some people wait until the next fall
>after arrival to plant their Signa seeds.

I have been planting my beardless seeds in batches since we arrived at the
new house. The seem to germinate well any time, except in Winter. I soak a
batch of about 5 or 6 varieties for a few days, then put the seeds in jiffy
pots, about 3 or 4 per pot, and they sit on a window sill until large enough
to transplant. The cat doesn't generally have access to the room I use, but
managed to destroy one batch of PCI's by peeing on them.

I don't have as much success these seeds grown in pots, and even less in the
garden, so I cossett these seeds (which have cost me a lot with the exchange
rate, etc) through to the stage when they are tough enough to leave alone.
The potted baby seedlings get just as much attention.

The beardeds, pardancanda's, latifolia, tectorum, etc do fine outside in
pots. I grew Sparaxis, Sysirinchium, dierama, fritillaria, Agapanthus, and
daffodils in seed raising mix last year, so I think Walter's freesias will
be OK. I didn't soak or freeze any of them, and they germinated in late
Winter/Spring, with plenty of seedlings from all. Transplanting them seems
to be my downfall. I think they are best left in their pots for a full year
or more.

My friend in Melbourne, who also grows a lot of SIGNA and BIS seeds, feels
that the siberian types germinate better if left for a year or so.
I have certainly had good germination, but I am usually happy with one or
two plants per small batch. It is so exciting to be able to grow seeds from
Tomas Tamberg, and to drool over his web page photos, and dream of what I
might have growing in my garden. Ditto for Ghio PCI's which I have had the
first batch of bloom from, and they are very exciting.

I also love rolling those wierd mixed names off my tongue. Versilaev,
Reversicolor, Sibcal..... can't wait until there are more of TT's seeds
available .... Chrytosa, Chrythenica, Chrysmatica, ... Yum!
I can see the TB's moving out to make room. (not the small beardeds or the
AB's though)
I have ordered a lot of Lorena reid seeds this year. Does she have a web
page? I would love to see photos of her seedlings and introductions.

Cheers, Jan Clark

Monitoring Service trial