RE: CULT:Increase

  • Subject: RE: [iris-talk] CULT:Increase
  • From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 22:19:50 -0600

>  So, you think that they should be counted at or before bloom time?  I'll
>  go
> for that.  Do it now and you might miss some that haven't cropped up yet,
> do it at dig time and you might be picking up babies that will be next
> years increase.
>
> Dana Brown
> Malevil Gardens

  I guess the time for counting  rhizomes depends on your reason for
doing so.  I used to count because I had a price list that at one
time had about 400 listed, so I did the chore in February or March.

  Back to the counting of increase in a judging setting where the
fifteen points are considered.  This would no doubt happen in a
regional or convention garden.  Some conventions extend their
invitation for tall bearded rhizomes until one year before the
convention.  Some ask for replacements in case of rot.  I would hate
for judges to penalize a a clump with this increase rule because it
was only one year old.  It may pass the 3 to five increase rule yet
appear to be a slow increaser when compared to the two year clumps.
I've always thought it would be wise to indicate one year clumps at a
convention with a special sticker so people would understand why it
is not so large as the other clumps.  Even if two rhizomes are in a
replacement clump, it still may not be as large as the more
established clumps.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8

Monitoring Service trial