Re: AIS: CULT: Counting increases..

  • Subject: Re: AIS: CULT: Counting increases..
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 12:32:11 -0500

Maureen Ottawa, Ontario said:
<When I did garden judging with George Sutton at the convention, we
counted   number of bloomstalks to number of increases.  The ratio we
were looking for  was 1 bloomstalk for at least 3 increases.  Then you
don't have to count   number of years.>

Hmmm... what I look for in gardens I visit is 1 bloomstalk for 2
increases.  However, I am interested in varieties that have a lot of
bloom and don't increase so fast that they have to be dug very often.
Not a commercial 'grower', plus sometimes I think these 'slower growers'
seem to be less prone to death and damage from weather ups & downs
(wet/dry; freezing/warm) .

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8
where it is downright balmy.  Species crocuses starting to bloom their
heads off.

Monitoring Service trial