Re: Re: CULT:plant habit

  • Subject: Re: [iris-talk] Re: CULT:plant habit
  • From: Bill Shear <wshear@hsc.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 14:17:41 -0500

On 1/30/02 3:35 PM, "Racheal Nekuda" <lilylvr@kansas.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have had a very unusual thing happen this winter. Usually things tend to
> heave here in the winter and iris rhizomes tend to prefer to grow with most of
> the rhizome exposed. This year all my rhizomes have been pulling themselves
> under the ground. Some as much as two inches. Could this be because it has
> been so dry? Won't they all rot if the weather gets real wet? I can't do
> anything about it right now but am open to any suggestions.

If the rhizomes are well-anchored by roots that go below the zone of frozen
soil, repeated freezing and thawing will naturally appear to raise the soil
level around them. The rhizomes are not pulling themselves down.   I would
suspect that the spring rains would serve as the great leveller and again
firm the soil around the rhizomes.

No, you have nothing to worry about.  Let nature take its course.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
FAX (434)223-6374
Moderating e-lists:
MilliPEET website at

"The editors of newspapers, the popular clergy, politicians and orators of
the day and office-holders, though they may be thought to be of very
different politics and religion, are essentially one and homogeneous,
insamuch as they are only the various ingredients of the froth which ever
floats on the surface of society."
Henry David Thoreau, Journals, Aug. 9, 1858.

Monitoring Service trial