Re: CULT: companion plants

Yes indeed.  Hard to imagine what kind of climate/gardener would find
variegated pokeweed desirable!  One small area where rows are too close
together to spray between with Roundup and where there must be a huge
reservoir of pokeweed seeds , I've had a battle with it every year.
Also blackberry in that small patch.  I think the seeds came in with
some hay or horse manure mulch.

Anything with large rhizomes or storage roots to get them through the
dry spells in the gravel thrives here.

If you think of any more really robust, summer blooming showy "weeds"
with fat roots, little foliage at ground level that might self sow here,
I'd give them a try.  Something taller than iris foliage.

Those orange cosmos don't have that type of root system, so there may be
other things that would do well.

.<I'll bet you
                   have some superb Phytolacca americana on that spread.
Did you see that some of
                   the highend nurseries were selling a variegated clone
of Phytolacca this season?
                   None around here, of course; we know pokeweed when we
see it.

                   Anner Whitehead
                   Richmond VA USA>

--