Re: CULT: How do you feel about...

I would like to heartily endorse what Patrick said. Each of us follows our own inspiration and no one should feel pressure to grow Iris in one way or another. Since I grow and have grown Iris in many different ways sometimes out of necessity other times out of desire I feel free to comment on the possibilities. There is no doubt in my mind that monoculture is easier and if one is to sustain a large collection it is often a necessity. But if I had unlimited time and money and space I am sure for my own garden I would choose a very complex border in the Jekyllian style or natural appearing landscape with the Iris cleverly incorporated. Unfortunately these things require an enormous amount of thought and effort. Whenever I see them (usually in botanical gardens or estates) I rejoice in their beauty. But all of us suffer constraints on our dreams. Sometimes I am just happy to discover a pleasant combination of a complimentarily colored companion plant and an Iris. But just because I
 dream about such wonderful gardens does not mean I am demeaning the beauty of what most of us may accomplish or the compromises I have to make in my own garden.

P.S I always keep a couple pokeweeds in my garden as specimen plants, I love their red stems, and a variegated form might be all that much better. Of course I have been accused of being a plant "whore" because i never met a plant i didn't like.