RE: TB: Companion Plants and Leaf Spot

I agree with everything you have said, but perhaps it is worth adding that there are two kinds of leaf spot, bacterial and fungal. I have had no experience with the former, but the last time we had a wet spell here (mid-'90,s) there was a serious infestation of the fungal variety in my iris beds. I was able to control, but not completely eliminate, the problem with fungicide sprays. For the past five years we have been in a drought situation here; by the second year of the drought all the leaf spot had disappeared.
Jeff Walters
in northern Utah
(USDA Zone 4)

Char Holte <cholte@wi.rr.com> wrote:
From what I have read the leaf spot is caused by bacteria in the dirt. In
especially wet years like we have had this past year in Wisconsin the rain
beats the dirt and bacteria up onto the leaves. With companion plants this
happens less. In other words the companion plants cover some of the dirt
between the Iris and therefore less opportunity for the dirt to be driven up
on the leaves.