Re: HYB: REF: form (from photos...)

I've noticed the same thing.   Gives blooms a 'squashed" look that I
don't care for.

Along with those upturned fall edges, and even upturned falls (beyond
horizontal, especially in the ruffling).  Sort of the opposite of "flat"
irises where the standards are in the same plane as the falls, these
seem to be heading towards having the falls in the same plane as the

But many folks apparently find these traits very attractive.  Different

<Several recent introductions appear to have shorter standards than
falls.  I was taught, 20 years
                   ago, that the standards and falls should be of equal
length.  A plant was inferior if there was a
                   noticeable difference.

                   I've quickly scanned my judges training book and
can't find this under either balance or form.
                   (garden section) Is there anything in the book about
short standards?  Something I'm missing?   Betty W. in South-central KY
Zone 6>

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8