CULT: Leaf Spot

In a message dated 1/5/05 12:41:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,
neilm@charter.net writes:

<< Injuries from sharp, small hail are especially bad about providing entry
points for the disease. >>

Some years ago there was a discussion on this list about leaf spot and--if
memory serves me well-- one member--I thought it was Edmondas-- maintained that
our understanding of all this was faulty, that the pathogen was, in fact, in
the Iris leaves.

I cannot find the posts on this in the Archives, but I remember it every time
something new breaks out in spot in my border, because, you see, for whatever
reason my garden typically does not support much spot.

One of my rhizome sources, however, is obviously fighting an ongoing  battle
with it. New purchases from them--bearded irises--always arrive looking pretty
good, already bleached and without that "foliage-cut-*way*-too-far-back" look
that makes one so suspicious of disease at the other end, but, sure enough,
before long out they break in spot. Nothing else in the border will have it,
only the new transplants. Happens more times than not.

So I cut off all the foliage, just whack it right back to the rhizome. When
new leaves grow back out they are usually fine and stay fine. In a couple of
instances I've had to crop them a second time.

So I ponder all this from time to time.

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA