Re: RE: TB: Companion Plants and Leaf Spot

Neil writes,

> The *worst* outbreaks of the bacterial and fungal problems will occur if
> is a lack of sanitation (removal of dead or diseased foliage) or lack of
> cultivation and hoeing.

I'm not sure about that anymore.  My worst occurrances have been in new beds
where irises haven't been grown.  These beds usually get new acquisitions
and seedlings.  The leaf spot tends to be virulent in the new beds when they
are new, but after a season or two tends to get better.  I'm not sure why.
Perhaps the older beds have simply been sprayed enough that the organism
isn't on the surface of the soil.  Digging, refurbishing and replanting in
the old beds tends to create a new outbreak again, though not as bad as in a
new bed.  New plantings are much easier to keep scrupulously clean and
tended than beds with more mature clumps, so the outbreaks haven't been in
the unkempt house but rather in the tidy house.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA